So, you’re about to decide on your catering options, and you’re bamboozled by the range of menu items on offer. The team at The Difference Catering explain your options and help you work out what will be best to serve to your guests.
It’s worth remembering these points before you get started:
• Provide a variety of foods to please all appetites and tastes.
• Check with guests regards food intolerances – do you need gluten free options?
• Try to provide a mix of hot and cold food.
• How long is your function and what time of day is it?
• Is your event formal or informal?
And remember – you are not in the kitchen at your own event, so preparation is a key ingredient.
The amount of food you require per person depends on how long your guests will be milling before the main meal, whether there is indeed a main meal to follow, and whether that main meal is light or more full. As a general guide allow 3-4 canapés per person for pre-dinner drinks of an hour’s duration or four pieces of finger food per person per hour for a cocktail or standing event.
A popular option, if you do not have the time or space for a sit down meal, is to have a standing or grazing menu consisting of a combination of the following styles eaten over the duration. This allows guests to mingle, encouraging a fun and fluid atmosphere.